Orange County Lifestyle Newborn Photographer
I loved my time with Baby Charlotte and her mom and dad a few weeks ago. There was lots of snuggling and just enjoying this sweet little girl. She was easy as can be and slept through her whole session. She even gifted us with a few sleepy smiles!
Click here to see other newborn sessions! Kristin Eldridge is a newborn / baby photographer in Long Beach, Orange County and Los Angeles.
How Does a Newborn Session Flow
Anyone that’s new to newborn photography can tell you it’s harder than it looks. Babies sleep a lot, so it’s assumed that taking photos of them would be easy. All you have to do is search #pinterestfail on the subject to see how things can go wrong. Undressing a baby is a room that’s anything less than VERY WARM is the first thing that can make them mad. Not being held by an adult is a close second. Start moving them around and you’re asking for it!
So, how does a newborn session flow? How do we get the baby to cooperate and make it all happen in 90 minutes or less.
7 Tips for a Great Newborn Session
- Warm the room. I can’t stress how important this is. In your clothing, you should be sweating a little. Remember the baby won’t be dressed (or minimally dressed) so make sure they are comfortable.
- Use white noise. Even small things like talking or the sound of the shutter can stir them. So, make sure you have a good white noise machine.
- I start with the baby wrapped. I instruct parents to dress the baby in front snap or zip outfit that’s easy to remove. As I’m removing clothing, I’m wrapping them, so they’re never left with arms and legs moving around.
- Once I have the baby securely wrapped and soothed, I’ll take photos shooting straight down. I might move the wrap slightly to create different looks or add a hat. This is the point where I’ll shoot details of the hands, ears and hair.
- If parents want any basket props, I transfer the baby in the wrap to the basket and take close up and pulled out shots there.
- When I move the baby back to the bean bag, I’ll place them on their tummy start slowing removing the blanket and diaper. I’ll photograph the curled up on the tummy poses and do some slight variations in poses, plus adding hats/wraps.
- Lastly, I put the diaper back on, add a wrap and do some additional photos looking down. The baby might be awake by this time. Since the baby is wrapped, I also use the blanket to wrap around the feet and do those close-ups.
This sweet baby girl joins a family who loved her before she was even here on this earth. Her older siblings anticipated her arrival and now that she’s finally here everyone wants to hold her. It’s gotta be great to be the center of so much love.
She will have connections with each of her older sisters and her older brother in a unique way. One might want to rough and tumble with her and another might teach her to read before she starts kindergarten. I love seeing big families. They dynamic is so loving. That lucky baby will be adored times four..plus her parents.
Her newborn session went so smoothly as her older siblings doted over her and kissed her little head. She woke for a bit and then went right back to sleep for her photos alone. What a perfect baby model!
**Baby Photography Orange County
I recently drove to Los Angeles, Santa Monica to be exact for a super sweet newborn session. This mama loves all the neutrals, just like me. We had so much fun planning her newborn session with her two sweet girls. Her older daughter has a teepee in her room, so of course we had to incorporate that as well. I love how the newborn session turned out. What they wore perfectly complimented all the grays and whites. Such a beautiful set of girls!
// Photos by Los Angeles Baby Photographer, Kristin Eldridge. If you love this color scheme, check out this similar newborn photo session.
I’ve kind of always been a simple girl. In the 90’s my favorite color was black. That turned to brown in the early 2000’s, then white and now grey. What can I say, I love neutrals. 🙂 I’m so happy that neutral and SIMPLE is totally having a moment. Graphic design is pared down and color palettes are just basic. And I love it.
This also translates well to newborn sessions. I love a simple color palette for newborn sessions and I especially love neutral colors. It puts the focus on creamy skin tones and all the affection you have for your brand new baby.
This recent newborn photo session in Los Angeles is the perfect example of all the things I love best. Soft, simple and neutral.
Photos by Los Angeles Newborn Photographer, Kristin Eldridge
Part of my newborn sessions always includes photographing tiny newborn hands and feet. I try to plan it in when the newborn isn’t quite asleep. That way, I’m not wasting any time. I’m waiting for baby to be soothed to sleep and getting some of the very important details. In fact, if babies are moving just a little it adds so much to the photo. Seeing toes curl up and hands grab on is just adorable.
There are times when it’s better for the baby to be asleep (like if you want fingers extended).
The other thing I like to do is photograph the series of details in the same color way. That way a parent could hang the detail shots together without worrying about contrasting colors.
I recently photographed a family just before they moved back to NYC. It was extra special because I was able to photograph their baby as a newborn last summer. We got the most perfect overcast lighting that makes everything bright and vibrant. It was chilly, but maybe it was the sky’s way of getting them ready to move back to the cold. Either way, it was a great morning and I’m so thankful I was able to document their time in Los Angeles.
Los Angeles Baby Photographer // Good-bye for Now
I just wrapped my very last photo session at the Rascals to Rebels Boutique. They close their doors on Friday after 15 years in the community. I’ve been working with them since 2008! It’s bittersweet because the store will continue to have an online presence with the hope of also doing special events.
So that you don’t shed too many tears, take a look at these cutie pie sisters there were there over the weekend!
Kristin Eldridge is a Los Angeles Child Photographer, servicing Long Beach, Orange County and LA.