The banana and the pumpkin are unlikely friends. Bananas belong in smoothies and dipped in chocolate. Pumpkins hang out in pies and Starbucks scones. But sometimes, you have bananas turning black and some leftover pumpkin from a facial mask you made (more on that soon). The next thing you know, you’re googling Pumpkin Banana Muffins. And it turns out it’s a thing. Like, a really good thing.
Here’s the recipe I slightly adapted from the Dole Banana website: Pumpkin Banana Muffins
- 2 ripe, large DOLE® Bananas
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- brown sugar for sprinkling on top
- Slightly mash bananas with a fork. Mix bananas, pumpkin, granulated sugar, milk, oil and egg in medium bowl until well blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into muffin tins. (I suggest a light spray of cooking oil so they don’t stick.)
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the top of each muffin.
- Bake at 375º F 20 to 22 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm. Makes one dozen.