The stores are out to get us. They have us yearning for what’s next. Valentines decorations the day after Christmas, Easter baskets before Valentines even happens, swimsuits when we are still wearing coats and school supplies for the next year the day after school gets out. And forget about Thanksgiving, we skip straight to Christmas. TARGET, I’M TALKING TO YOU. Summer is one of those times that I don’t want to be rushed. I want to spend my days outside. I want to plan out the days we have without work or obligation to include the optimal amount of sunshine. Yet, it all goes by sooo fast. Summer is slipping out of my grasp as I speak!
I decided to write a list of a few things that I want to make sure we savor before school starts and the hustle and bustle begins. Tonight kicks off the list!
1. Go to a concert in the park. Last year I was introduced to the Long Beach Municipal Band Concerts at El Dorado Park. It’s such a great feeling of community. Everyone walks over, packs a picnic dinner and spreads out blankets on the ground. They only happen on Fridays and tonight is the last one. So, I’m making it by the skin of my teeth!
photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarrelibre/2628049454/
2. Make ice cream. There’s nothing like homemade ice cream. Especially in the summer. It’s worth the extra time it takes to simmer whole milk and cream, then wait while it chills and churns. Yum…I think maybe that needs to happen this weekend. I’m also thinking a cherry ice cream is tailor-made for this item on the list!
3. Read a chapter book to the kids. Last year I read Farmer Boy and Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder. It was such a nice way to spend the afternoons and on road trips, etc. I have wonderful memories of being read to in elementary school. So, this year I need to choose a good chapter book for ages 7, 9 and 10. Any suggestions??
4. Go to the beach. This one kinda sounds like a no-brainer, especially since we live 5 minutes from the water. But it’s hard to pull it together long enough to pack lunches, towels, chairs, sandtoys, sunscreen and boogie boards!
5. DO NOTHING. So, I’m kinda reminding myself of my type-A 10 year old with this list making business. I’ve promised myself to fit in an hour at the pool doing nothing. An unplanned day or maybe even a nap, or something crazy like that.